We are not aware of any side effects of Calagel. However, if you are allergic to sulfites, you could experience: a reaction that can vary from mild to life threatening. The most common symptoms are mild and involve a skin rash accompanied by redness, hives, itching, flushing, tingling, and swelling. Respiratory symptoms include difficulty breathing, wheezing, and stridor. Gastrointestinal reactions involve nausea and stomach cramps. Less common but more serious signs include low blood pressure, shock, extreme difficulty breathing, and loss of consciousness. DO NOT USE Calagel IF ALLERGIC TO SULFITES.

Calagel has not been tested for use on ringworm. We encourage you to seek advice from your physician or pharmacist for proper care/treatment.

We recommend consulting your physician first.

Calagel Medicated Anti-itch Gel is an over-the-counter medication that has a two year expiration date from the day it is manufactured. The date can be found marked near the batch code vertically on the side of the bottle label. It will be marked as "EXP month/year", so for example EXP 6/2018 would expire in June 2018. If you purchase Calagel in a box with a 2 oz. Tecnu Original inside, the expiration date will also be stamped on the bottom of the box.

We have not tested Calagel to be used on animals so we cannot recommend using it on your dog.

The symptoms of a sulfite reaction vary from mild to life threatening. The most common symptoms are mild and involve a skin rash accompanied by redness, hives, itching, flushing, tingling, and swelling. Respiratory symptoms include difficulty breathing, wheezing, and stridor. Gastrointestinal reactions involve nausea and stomach cramps. Less common but more serious signs include low blood pressure, shock, extreme difficulty breathing and loss of consciousness.

No, you should not use Calagel if you are allergic to sulfites. Tecnu Rash Relief Spray would be another option for itch relief.

We have one medicated product that contains menthol at inactive levels, our anti-itch gel called Calagel.
All product labels can be found here in our Tips and Info section.

See the Safety Data Sheet for Calagel.

Calagel should not be used in conjunction with any other products containing diphenhydramine so as not to exceed a daily recommended dosage. Please contact your physician.

The drug facts label on Calagel states, "Stop use and ask a doctor if condition worsens or if symptoms persist for more than 7 days, or clear up and occur again within a few days."

If you have been using Calagel on your rash for over a week now and are starting to notice increased redness and irritation, we would suggest you discontinue use and contact your doctor.

Yes. Even when the plants are dead, the resin that causes the rash remains active. Removing the plants entirely is the best way to avoid contact with them.

Tecnu Original Outdoor Skin Cleanser can be used to decontaminate clothing that has come into contact with poison oak and ivy. Instructions for cleaning can be found in our video section.

If the skin has been thoroughly cleansed with Tecnu Original or Tecnu Extreme, it shouldn't be necessary to wear gloves.

No poison oak stems do not have thorns on them. Poison oak grows as a shrub or a climbing vine.

Urushiol oil has a slight yellowish-green tint to it. But, only when there is a large quantity of it. The amount needed to cause a reaction in most people is so small it is not visible. For example, the head of a pin can contain enough oil to contaminate 100 people. In most cases, it will be invisible to the naked eye before or even after the rash has appeared.

While poison ivy typically grows in leaf clusters of 3, on occasion, leaves can grow in clusters of 5 or 7.

Most likely, no. However, if any of the leaves have fallen onto the deck/chairs in previous seasons, the oil may be on those items, leading to secondary contamination. That would be the most likely cause for a person to develop a rash in this case. If so, you may consider wiping down the furniture with Tecnu (after spot checking first for color-fastness). It is our understanding that burning the plant is the only way the oils can be airborne.

Yes, in the sense that poison oak can grow in different forms such as a vine, shrub, or ground cover. For more help with plant identification, see our plant images.

Yes, poison ivy will bloom tiny white flowers before they turn into berries. The berries range from grayish to white in color. See our pictures of poison ivy plants for a more detailed description, and to see what poison ivy looks like.

If the urushiol (rash-causing oil) has not yet absorbed fully into your skin, and you are not using a cleanser to remove urushiol from the skin's surface, it is possible to spread the oil to other areas of the body. After contact with poison oak or ivy plants, it is best to wash as soon as possible with a cleanser designed to remove urushiol such as Tecnu Original or Tecnu Extreme.

You are looking for a poison ivy barrier product, which we do not currently make. If you have been (or, think you may have been) exposed to poison oak or poison ivy plants, washing with a cleanser designed to remove urushiol (rash-causing oil from the plants) within 8 hours after exposure can help remove the resin before a rash begins. Such cleansers include Tecnu Original and Tecnu Extreme.

You can either pull the plants out of the ground, or head to your local home and garden center where a store employee can recommend the best weed-killer to eradicate poison oak and ivy plants. If you choose to pull the plants out yourself, there are a few tips we recommend following: 

1.) Wear long sleeves and pants as well as gloves
2.) Place a grocery bag (or any plastic bag) around the plant and pull with the bag, tie and dispose
3.) Be sure to thoroughly wash after with a cleanser that can remove the rash-causing oil, urushiol; either Tecnu Original or Tecnu Extreme will do the trick
4.) Last but not least, be sure to wash the clothing you were wearing in warm/hot water, through two cycles in the washing machine with a heavy-duty detergent such as Tide®.

Yes. If the plant is burned in an open fire, it is possible to get poison oak or ivy systemically by breathing the smoke of burning poison oak or ivy. If you think you have poison oak/ivy systemically, see your doctor; this can be a fatal condition. In some states it is illegal to burn poison oak/ivy. NEVER BURN IT!

Bleach may appear to be a quick fix to poison oak or ivy. However, bleach removes the top layer(s) of your skin. Using it can irritate your skin and in the process weaken it so that the rash may become worse. Your skin may then become more susceptible to getting the rash in the future.

Yes, be careful, because you can get the rash from your pets. Since the animals' fur protects their skin from the oil, they won't get the rash. However, the oil will remain on their fur and will contaminate you when you touch them. You can use Tecnu to bathe animals. Apply Tecnu to dry fur, rub in, and fully rinse.

Urushiol does not evaporate and can remain active for years after being picked up on tools, clothing, animal fur, etc.

No. The poison oil remains toxic and does not evaporate. All parts of the living or dead poison plants, including the roots, flowers, or berries, contain the urushiol oil. Be especially careful of dead vines on firewood and leafless vines in the winter.

No, You must have direct contact with the urushiol oil in order to have a reaction. It is highly unlikely for you to get the rash from wind blowing on the plant.

Yes, you can begin getting poison ivy or oak rash at any time during your life. Three out of four people are sensitive to poison oak and ivy. Sensitivity is just a matter of being exposed enough times until the body becomes allergic to the poison oil (urushiol). The rash can begin within a few hours after contact, or it can start three to five days later.

Trusted Partners

This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
©2021 Tec Laboratories Inc. | 1-800-482-4464 | 7100 Tec Labs Way SW, Albany, OR 97321
Shopping Cart
There are no products in the cart!
Continue Shopping