Should I Break The Blisters From Poison Ivy Rash?

Never pop poison ivy blisters! Although they may be painful, an open blister can easily become infected and lead to blood poisoning. The blisters form as part of your body's immune response to poison ivy and oak and are part of the healing process. 

The fluid from the blisters do not contain urushiol, the oil that causes poison ivy or oak rash, so scratching or breaking a blister will not cause the rash to spread. If your rash is continuing to spread, you are coming in contact with the plant's oil either through direct or secondary contact. Washing with a product like Tecnu Original or Tecnu Extreme will remove any urushiol oil, the rash-causing oil, that has not bonded to the skin.

If the blisters do break, cover the area loosely with a sterile bandage protecting the wound from bacteria.  In severe cases, you should always contact your doctor.

Trusted Partners

This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this Website.
©2021 Tec Laboratories Inc. | 1-800-482-4464 | 7100 Tec Labs Way SW, Albany, OR 97321
Shopping cart
There are no products in the cart!
Continue shopping