If you know, or think you have been, exposed to poison ivy plants (or poison oak and sumac) apply Tecnu Original to dry skin, rub vigorously for two minutes, then rinse with cool or tepid water. Although it is a soap, it can also be used without water. If you do not have access to water, you can remove Tecnu Original by wiping it off with a cloth.
The magic rule with Tecnu and poison ivy oil is, the sooner you wash the better! Wash within 8 hours for your best chance to avoid a poison ivy rash. After 8 hours, the likelihood of developing a rash drastically increases. Remember, even if you do break out, wash with Tecnu to remove any excess oil that may be on the skin; this will keep the oil from spreading to other areas.
Don't be fooled by the power of urushiol! The resin from poison ivy (oak & sumac plants) is incredibly potent and lasts for months, even years on certain items. If you touch something that has been contaminated with urushiol, you can develop a rash. Therefore, we recommend cleaning items that could be contaminated, with Tecnu Original to avoid secondary contact.
Hey Canada! Tecnu Original Outdoor Skin Cleanser is now available for sale at www.tecnu.ca.
Fun fact: The name "Tecnu" was given by its inventor (Doctor Robert Smith), meaning "technically new"; you have likely seen it misspelled as Tech Nu or Technu Outdoor Skin Cleanser.
deodorized mineral spirits, water, propylene glycol, octylphenoxy-polyethoxyethanol, mixed fatty acid soap, fragrance
- Removes poison oak and ivy oil, urushiol, that causes rash and itching
- Tecnu is most effective when used within the first two hours after exposure or as soon as rash appears
- Keep out of reach of children.
- For external use only.
- Should not be applied to raw or oozing area of skin.
- If redness occurs, discontinue use and consult a physician.
- Keep out of eyes and other mucous membranes.
Before the rash has started:
- Apply Tecnu to exposed unwetted skin within 8 hours after exposure to poisonous plants.
- Rub vigorously for 2 minutes to remove oil and other contaminants from skin. If hyper-sensitive, wash entire body with Tecnu.
- Rinse skin clean with cool running water or wipe off with a cloth. Repeat.
As soon as rash appears:
- Apply Tecnu to affected skin and surrounding areas. For best results apply to entire body. Rub in for 2 minutes but avoid breaking the skin.
- Rinse with cool running water to remove Tecnu and poison oils. If itching persists, reapply Tecnu, then rinse in a very warm shower (not a bath).
- Towel dry gently
- Repeat as necessary and before retiring.
To clean pets:
- Saturate a cloth with Tecnu and wipe down the pet's coat.
- Follow with pet shampoo and water bath.
- Tecnu can also remove skunk spray from your pet's fur.
To clean clothing:
- Saturate unwetted clothing with Tecnu in a bucket for several minutes.
- Launder by itself with detergent and hot water.
- Check for color fastness by testing a concealed corner of the fabric.
To clean tools:
- Wipe down tools with a cloth saturated with Tecnu.
- Wash with soap and water.
To remove sap and pitch:
- Apply Tecnu directly and rub until stain dissolves to clean pitch, tree sap, road tar, grass stains and other substances from skin, tools and clothing.
- Wash with soap and water.
Steve (verified owner) –
We live in Poison Oak territory and call 6 acres of it home. It grows to over 5' in height, and is extremely invasive, taking over pasture and hillside. After nearly 10 years of battle, it's nearly under control. I've thankfully had Tecnu on my side the whole time and rarely get more than a spot of rash! Just bought a 32oz jug...
M Wilson (verified owner) –
Just wanted to let you know that I used Tecnu on my son's FiveFinger shoes and his Teva sandals to remove the foot odor smell. Tecnu worked great on removing the smell. I put Tecnu on both by hand and let them sit for a couple of hours. We wiped them off, but did not wash them afterwards. Tecnu did a great job removing the odor!
Mike Pohlman (verified owner) –
This product is very effective! It works GGGRRREEATTTT!!!!! Thank you so much!!
David Crane (verified owner) –
I do a lot of trail clearing and poison oak removal on some trails near where I live. I always use cold water and Tecnu to clean myself and my clothes and tools as soon as a I can after working around poison oak... I think it really helps to use it as soon as possible after and type of exposure.
Beth Knight and Sunshine (verified owner) –
I just wanted to tell you what a Godsend your product is! Our dog got sprayed by a skunk over a week ago and we had tried all the remedies we knew of: Dawn, peroxide, and baking soda over and over again. Then we went online and heard about Tecnu. We purchased some and though we had to bathe her 3 times, it took the smell away. I was beginning to think that after so long a time, we were going to have to just wait for the foul stink to wear off. Each bathing, she was dried completely and then we did it again. Third time was charm.
Thanks from the bottom of our hearts.