Have you ever had a rash from poison ivy, oak or sumac and had no idea how such a thing could have happened? You feel like the poison ivy is spreading and out of control. You backtrack through your last few days of events. It just doesn't make sense how you could have possibly come in contact with a poison plant. Well, you could be a victim of secondary contamination.
Poison ivy, oak and sumac rash is caused by a substance called urushiol. Urushiol is a resinous oil that is found on all parts of these plants including the stems, leaves and roots. It is potent whether the plants are alive or dead. Your body's allergic reaction to urushiol causes the miserable, itching rash. The severity of the rash will vary depending on your immune system.
Because urushiol is an oily substance, it can adhere to many objects and be difficult to wash away. When you come in contact with these objects, you pick up the urushiol and it can turn into a rash.
Here are some of those common objects that may come in contact with urushiol:
So what is a person to do if you suspect you have an object covered with urushiol? Tecnu Original Outdoor Skin Cleanser can wash off poison plant oil from many of these objects. Check out our instructions or videos to learn how to use Tecnu Original.
Free 2nd-day Air on any order over $50!
Save 25% with coupon code TECNU25