If you know, or think you have been, exposed to poison ivy plants (or poison oak and sumac) apply Tecnu Original to dry skin, rub vigorously for two minutes, then rinse with cool or tepid water. Although it is a soap, it can also be used without water. If you do not have access to water, you can remove Tecnu Original by wiping it off with a cloth.
The magic rule with Tecnu and poison ivy oil is, the sooner you wash the better! Wash within 8 hours for your best chance to avoid a poison ivy rash. After 8 hours, the likelihood of developing a rash drastically increases. Remember, even if you do break out, wash with Tecnu to remove any excess oil that may be on the skin; this will keep the oil from spreading to other areas.
Don't be fooled by the power of urushiol! The resin from poison ivy (oak & sumac plants) is incredibly potent and lasts for months, even years on certain items. If you touch something that has been contaminated with urushiol, you can develop a rash. Therefore, we recommend cleaning items that could be contaminated, with Tecnu Original to avoid secondary contact.
Hey Canada! Tecnu Original Outdoor Skin Cleanser is now available for sale at www.tecnu.ca.
Fun fact: The name "Tecnu" was given by its inventor (Doctor Robert Smith), meaning "technically new"; you have likely seen it misspelled as Tech Nu or Technu Outdoor Skin Cleanser.
deodorized mineral spirits, water, propylene glycol, octylphenoxy-polyethoxyethanol, mixed fatty acid soap, fragrance
- Removes poison oak and ivy oil, urushiol, that causes rash and itching
- Tecnu is most effective when used within the first two hours after exposure or as soon as rash appears
- Keep out of reach of children.
- For external use only.
- Should not be applied to raw or oozing area of skin.
- If redness occurs, discontinue use and consult a physician.
- Keep out of eyes and other mucous membranes.
Before the rash has started:
- Apply Tecnu to exposed unwetted skin within 8 hours after exposure to poisonous plants.
- Rub vigorously for 2 minutes to remove oil and other contaminants from skin. If hyper-sensitive, wash entire body with Tecnu.
- Rinse skin clean with cool running water or wipe off with a cloth. Repeat.
As soon as rash appears:
- Apply Tecnu to affected skin and surrounding areas. For best results apply to entire body. Rub in for 2 minutes but avoid breaking the skin.
- Rinse with cool running water to remove Tecnu and poison oils. If itching persists, reapply Tecnu, then rinse in a very warm shower (not a bath).
- Towel dry gently
- Repeat as necessary and before retiring.
To clean pets:
- Saturate a cloth with Tecnu and wipe down the pet's coat.
- Follow with pet shampoo and water bath.
- Tecnu can also remove skunk spray from your pet's fur.
To clean clothing:
- Saturate unwetted clothing with Tecnu in a bucket for several minutes.
- Launder by itself with detergent and hot water.
- Check for color fastness by testing a concealed corner of the fabric.
To clean tools:
- Wipe down tools with a cloth saturated with Tecnu.
- Wash with soap and water.
To remove sap and pitch:
- Apply Tecnu directly and rub until stain dissolves to clean pitch, tree sap, road tar, grass stains and other substances from skin, tools and clothing.
- Wash with soap and water.
Richard Howell (verified owner) –
This stuff really works. In a class by itself. Thank you so much for a GREAT product!
Laurel Martin (verified owner) –
Just wanted to say this product is amazing! Not only does it work on poison oak but it works to remove skunk spray. My dog was sprayed by a skunk and I was at a loss on what to do. When I noticed that the extra big bottle of Tecnu on the bathroom counter had a skunk on it! Tecnu saved my life I never heard of anything that works with just 1 use. I washed my dog 1 time with Tecnu and I never smelled the skunk again. Thank you and keep up the great work, not only do you have a customer for life but I refer everyone I come across to your company! Best stuff out there by far!!!!!
David Webb (verified owner) –
I get poison ivy just by looking at a picture of it. I was given a free sample of Technu to try when I got my next outbreak. I was sceptical about it working at all. I was amazed the first time I used it. Follow directions and it works great. I have even given Technu to friends that had poison ivy. Thanksnfornsuch an great product.
Ryan (verified owner) –
I first stumbled across it while in Boy Scouts, little did I know at the time I would soon be working as an intern, own a landscaping business while going to college. When I get poison ivy it tends to be s huge nuisance and every since I started using tecnu it has helped!! The packets would be nice but due to the large quantity they are not feasible to keep on hand thus a bottle in the truck does wonders to help stop the spread of poison ivy before it starts. I have tried everything and this is by far the best Poison Ivy Product on the market today.
Andrew (verified owner) –
I wish I knew about Tecnu before I was actually infected... I learned about Tecnu after the skin was infected. But I believe it kept the infection from spreading further than it did. It seemed to be spreading pretty rapidly until I used the Tecnu. Now it's just in the same spots it was in before the Tecnu. It's hard to write a great testimonial when I'm still extremely itchy, but there, unfortunately, isn't much of anything you can do after you're already infected. So thanks, Tecnu, for not letting it spread to the rest of my body. I'm saving the rest of the bottle just in case I ever come in contact with the pain in the butt plant known as poison ivy.